The penguin's motorcycling and Jeep blog

Monday, August 4, 2008

When farkles go bad

One of the joys of owning any motorcycle is farkling it -- adding accessories and modifications to make it exactly what you want. But sometimes what you think is the right thing just doesn't work, and then is when you have to make some choices.

In my case, I was wanting to do two things for the Nightstrom -- protect the plastics, and have highway pegs. I have bad knees so the highway pegs were the biggy -- I can replace plastics, but replacing knees is a far more painful thought. So I looked around at the options, and decided what gave me the best protection for a reasonable price was the Givi crash guards for the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Then I could mount my Harley highway pegs to the thing, the kind meant to install on crashbars on a cruiser that I happened to have sitting on a box on the shelf, and voila!

So I put the Givi engine guards on, after waiting for a few weeks for a slow boat from Italy, and then tried to fit the highway pegs. No dice. If I put them where the bars were vertical, they were too high and too close to me. Further out and down, they were hidden under the arch where the engine guard wrapped upward around the plastics and my leg hit the up-bar.

So next thing I thought was an AMotostuff skid plate. Then I could put a Happy Trail highway peg bar intended to bolt to the skid plate of a Honda XR650 dual-sport to the AMotostuff skid plate, and voila. So I forked over another couple hundred bucks (eep!) for a skid plate. And mounted the highway peg bar to that, and... well, the skid plate is *rubber mounted* to reduce the force it puts onto the somewhat fragile bracket the rear mounts to, and my footpegs wobbled so much as to be practically useless!

I tried a few more options, and none of them worked. Finally I settled on a Pat Walsh Design motor guard and now have nice usable highway pegs, at the expense of less protection for my plastics. You've seen that setup further down the page.

So anyhow, what do you do with $350 worth of farkle that don't work for you? Well, that's easy -- you fleaBay it. So it's on its way to a new owner as we speak, and while I'm out some money, at least I'm not out $350 worth of money. The new owner doesn't care about highway pegs, he just wants protection for his plastics and the underside of his bike. So he gets what he wants, and I have what I need -- servicable highway pegs.

So today's lesson: Mistakes aren't the end of things. If you make a mistake and buy the wrong accessories for your bike, it's not the end of the world. Just fleaBay it, and then get what works for your bike. Maybe you'll be out a few bucks, but (shrug). So it goes, in motorcyclin' land.

-- Badtux the Farkle Penguin

2 comments:

Gordon said...

OT, but a few minutes ago I had the chance to take a nice long glance at a nekkid SV650 down at the 7-11. Beautiful, but damn! that's a visually busy bike! So much stuff.

OTOH, you can see all the way through my Enfield...

BadTux said...

Part of that is all the emissions crap, another part of it is the stout aluminum perimeter frame, but mostly it's because it's a V-twin rather than a single or inline twin. A V-twin has twice the stuff of a single or inline twin -- twice the camshafts, twice the exhaust outlets, twice the coils, etc.

You can see through my KLR too, albeit only barely -- there's just a little space above the starter and below the intake manifold where you can peek through, though it's partially blocked by the high exhaust (which curls along the right side of the engine alongside the cylinder then shoots up to the rear fender). But that view is blocked by the rear cylinder and the perimeter frame on my V-Strom.

- Badtux the Motorcyclin' Penguin
(who rode the KLR to work today).